10 Steps to Health and Safety - 7 Monitoring
Monitoring activities allows an organisation to see if the controls put in place to protect staff, public, visitors etc., both in terms of health and safety, are suitable.
Monitoring is a pro-active measure which can be used to look for weaknesses before they result in an accident or incident.
Monitoring the organisations activities answers a number of questions often asked by the stakeholders including:-
- Are the controls for safety and health working?
- Are they being followed?
- Is the organisation doing enough for health and safety?
- Are the efforts to provide a safe place of work focused in the correct areas?
- Are the controls still suitable or have there been changes which mean the original controls are no longer suitable?
- Has anything changed e.g. changes in machinery, material, legislation, operating processes, environmental conditions